[Marxism] Merkel to head German grand coalition

Einde O'Callaghan einde at gmx.de
Mon Oct 10 15:51:53 MDT 2005

Tony Hartin wrote:

> ***
> **Merkel to head German grand coalition
>
> Monday 10 October 2005, 13:14 Makka Time, 10:14 GMT
> **Leaders of Germany's conservative and Social Democrat parties have
> approved a coalition plan that will see Christian Democrat Angela Merkel
> succeed Gerhard Schroeder as chancellor, according to party officials.
>
> http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/6BC2311D-E882-4A2E-88EB-0E8AAD92FAF8.htm
>

> I gather this is not unexpected given the discussions on this list.
> Neverthless, I'm still disgusted by it. A question though.. is this
> likely to piss-off the left of the SDP's constituency? As a result could
> that be a boost for the Left Party?

Well, it certainly makes it impossible for the SPD to make a massive
swing to the left as it would have done if it was in opposition. It was
one of our aims to prevent both red/green and black/yellow (CDU/FDP)
getting a majority and thus forcing the SPD into a grand coalition with
the CDU. This is only a formalisation of what has been happening for the
last few years anyway since the SPD lost its majority in the upper
house, which meant that nearly every piece of legislation had to be
negotiated with the CDU anyway to ensure that it was passed into law.

It remains to be seen whether the leadership of teh trade unions, which
up until now have kept a tight rein on the rank and file in order to
avoid embarrassing the SPD leadership will stay completely wedded to the
SPD leadership.

Einde O'Callaghan