[Marxism] Lynndie England says 'worse things' have happened at Abu Ghraib

Paul Gallagher pgallagher4 at nyc.rr.com
Mon Oct 10 23:32:51 MDT 2005

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20051003/ts_alt_afp/usiraqprisonersengland

Convicted US soldier says 'worse things' have happened at Abu Ghraib

Mon Oct 3, 3:38 AM ET

WASHINGTON (AFP) - A US soldier convicted of humiliating and abusing
Iraqi prisoners said in an interview she knew of "worse things"
happening at Abu Ghraib and insisted military commanders were fully
aware of what was going on in Iraq's infamous jail.

The comments, made by Private First Class Lynndie England in her
first post-court marshal interview, contradicted assertions by top
Pentagon officials that a small group of out-of-control soldiers
were responsible for abuse at Abu Ghraib, and that however repulsive
that mistreatment was, it did not amount to torture.

England, who became the face of the scandal because of a photograph
of her holding a naked prisoner by a leash, was sentenced last
Tuesday to three years in prison and dishonorably discharged from
the Army after a military jury found her guilty of maltreating
prisoners and committing an indecent act.

The trial capped a damaging scandal that erupted in 2004, following
publication of pictures that showed Abu Ghraib inmates piled up
naked on the floor in front of US soldiers, cowering in front of
snarling military dogs, chained to beds in stress positions and
forced to stand naked in front of female guards.

But England, appearing on NBC's "Dateline" program, said the pictures
did not convey the full extent of the abuse that took place in the
cell block.

"I know worse things were happening over there," admitted the
22-year-old convict.

She said one night she heard blood-curdling screams coming from
the block's shower room, where non-military interrogators had taken
an Arab detainee.

"They had the shower on to muffle it, but it wasn't helping," she
recalled. "They never screamed like that when we were humiliating.
But this guy was like screaming bloody murder. I mean it still
haunts me I can still hear it just like it happened yesterday."

The interrogators were not identified, but several investigations
into the abuse have disclosed that Central Intelligence Agency
operatives worked at Abu Ghraib alongside US military intelligence,
trying to glean useful information.