[Marxism] why did Marx reject moral?

Calvin Broadbent calvinbroadbent at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 11 12:15:49 MDT 2005

Might honourable mention be made of the early German Protestants the
Anabaptists, who believed in free love and communal property?

JAMES DALY WROTE:

We don't have to accept the Oxford dictionary as an authority on
history (especially of religion!)  -- and my own layman's
understanding of it is that while most Catholics treated the practice
of asceticism as self control in something like the original meaning
of the Greek word for athletic training [no pain no gain] e.g. "giving
things up for Lent" -- but having Mardi Gras before it and an Easter
feast day after -- some Protestants rejected tobacco, alcohol etc.
permanently in a more quasi-Manichaean attitude to the world, leading
Bentham to say (what is certainly not true of the catholic position)
that asceticism means the deliberate pursuit of pain, counter to
nature.  In my opinion, Marx's position, which I would share, was
closer to the first than to the second.