[Marxism] Psychology of Genocide or Ethnic Cleansing

Jscotlive at aol.com Jscotlive at aol.com
Tue Oct 11 14:44:14 MDT 2005

michael098762001 at earthlink.net writes:

The  Anatomy of Prejudices

Elisabeth Young-Bruehl

Winner of a  1996 Professional/Scholarly Publishing Award of the
Association of  American Publishers, Psychology Category

In this deeply  thoughtful book, Elisabeth Young-Bruehl turns a critical
lens on  prejudice. Surveying the study of prejudice since World War II,
Young-Bruehl suggests an approach that distinguishes between  different
types of prejudices, the people who hold them, the social  and political
settings that promote them, and the human needs they  fulfill.

Reply:

I was struck by this. Does anyone on the list think there's a case for
attributing acts of genocide and/or mass murder to more than a reaction to  certain
material conditions? Is there some point at which we are capable of  acting
through some collective impulse which is triggered by an atavistic  conception
of violence and war as the highest form of human behaviour instead of  the
lowest? Does anyone also agree that violence committed by a collective - in  the
case of organised genocide - by definition absolves the individual  from any
moral responsibility, which under certain circumstances can in a  perverted
sense be a source of liberation for the individual?

J.