[Marxism] Exploiting Srebrenica

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Oct 12 09:18:56 MDT 2005

Counterpunch, October 12, 2005
Using War as an Excuse for More War
Srebrenica Revisited

By DIANA JOHNSTONE

Last summer, almost the entire political spectrum in the Western world
joined in a chorus of self-flagellation on the 10th anniversary of the
Srebrenica massacre. The dominant theme was "nostra culpa": "we" let it
happen, "we" didn't want to know about it, and "we" mustn't let it happen
again.

Dear reader, who are "we" in this case? How in the world could "we" (you
and I) have known or done anything about this at the time? And in fact, how
much do "we" really know about it now? We know what we read in the
newspapers or see on television. But how precise and accurate is that
information? How do we know now that we are much better informed than we
were before the event?

Such questions are virtually taboo. Srebrenica has become a sacred symbol
of collective guilt, and to raise the slightest question is to be instantly
condemned as an apologist for frightful crimes , or as a "holocaust denier".

full: http://www.counterpunch.org/

--

www.marxmail.org