[Marxism] Marxist perspective on money

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Oct 12 09:31:10 MDT 2005

>I've been reading _Capital_ by Marx, and I am in the depths of the
>section on money (I've also read _Zur Kritik_ on money).  Marx seems
>adamant on the issue that money is really a commodity - that is, gold
>or silver as the money-commodity is congealed labor-time, in his
>phrasing.  Does the fiat system of money change this?  How does it
>impact on the analysis of _Capital_?  What is fiat money, in the system
>described by _Capital_?  I'd be grateful for any essays or elucidation
>from posters with more economic training than I have.
>
>Thanks for any pointers on this question.
>
>-Wayne

http://www.marxists.org/archive/mandel/19xx/marx/ch06.htm
VI. Marx’s Theory of Money

In the same way as his theory of rent, Marx’s theory of money is a
straightforward application of the labour theory of value. As value is but
the embodiment of socially necessary labour, commodities exchange with each
other in proportion to the labour quanta they contain. This is true for the
exchange of iron against wheat, as it is true for the exchange of iron
against gold or silver. Marx’s theory of money is therefore in the first
place a commodity theory of money. A given commodity can play the role of
universal medium of exchange, as well as fulfil all the other functions of
money, precisely because it is a commodity, i.e. because it is itself the
product of socially necessary labour. This applies to the precious metals
in the same way it applies to all the various commodities which, throughout
history, have played the role of money.

It follows that strong upheavals in the ‘intrinsic’ value of the
money-commodity will cause strong upheavals in the general price level. In
Marx’s theory of money, (market) prices are nothing but the expression of
the value of commodities in the value of the money commodity chosen as a
monetary standard. If £1 sterling = 1/10 ounce of gold, the formula ‘the
price of 10 quarters of wheat is £1’ means that 10 quarters of wheat have
been produced in the same socially necessary labour times as 1/10 ounce of
gold. A strong decrease in the average productivity of labour in gold
mining (as a result for example of a depletion of the richer gold veins)
will lead to a general depression of the average price level, all other
things remaining equal. Likewise, a sudden and radical increase in the
average productivity of labour in gold mining, through the discovery of new
rich gold fields (California after 1848; the Rand in South Africa in the
1890s) or through the application of new revolutionary technology, will
lead to a general increase in the price level of all other commodities.

Leaving aside short-term oscillations, the general price level will move in
medium and long-term periods according to the relation between the
fluctuations of the productivity of labour in agriculture and industry on
the one hand, and the fluctuations of the productivity of labour in gold
mining (if gold is the money-commodity), on the other.

Basing himself on that commodity theory of money, Marx therefore criticized
as inconsistent Ricardo’s quantity theory. But for exactly the same reason
of a consistent application of the labour theory of value, the quantity of
money in circulation enters Marx’s economic analysis when he deals with the
phenomenon of paper money.

As gold has an intrinsic value, like all other commodities, there can be no
‘gold inflation’, as little as there can be a ‘steel inflation’. An
abstraction made of short-term price fluctuations caused by fluctuations
between supply and demand, a persistent decline of the value of gold
(exactly as for all other commodities) can only be the result of a
persistent increase in the average productivity of labour in gold mining
and not of an ‘excess’ of circulation in gold. If the demand for gold falls
consistently, this can only indirectly trigger a decline in the value of
gold through causing the closure of the least productive old mines. But in
the case of the money-commodity, such overproduction can hardly occur,
given the special function of gold of serving as a universal reserve fund,
nationally and internationally. It will always therefore find a buyer, be
it not, of course, always at the same ‘prices’ (in Marx’s economic theory,
the concept of the ‘price of gold’ is meaningless. As the price of a
commodity is precisely its expression in the value of gold, the ‘price of
gold’ would be the expression of the value of gold in the value of gold).

Paper money, banks notes, are a money sign representing a given quantity of
the money-commodity. Starting from the above-mentioned example, a banknote
of £1 represents 1/10 ounce of gold. This is an objective ‘fact of life’,
which no government or monetary authority can arbitrarily alter. It follows
that any emission of paper money in excess of that given proportion will
automatically lead to an increase in the general price level, always other
things remaining equal. If £1 suddenly represents only 1/20 ounce of gold,
because paper money circulation has doubled without a significant increase
in the total labour time spent in the economy, then the price level will
tend to double too. The value of 1/10 ounce of gold remains equal to the
value of 10 quarters of wheat. But as 1/10 ounce of gold is now represented
by £2 in paper banknotes instead of being represented by £1, the price of
wheat will move from £1 to £2 for 10 quarters (from two shillings to four
shillings a quarter before the introduction of the decimal system).

This does not mean that in the case of paper money, Marx himself has become
an advocate of a quantity theory of money. While there are obvious
analogies between his theory of paper money and the quantity theory, the
main difference is the rejection by Marx of any mechanical automatism
between the quantity of paper money emitted on the one hand, and the
general dynamic of the economy (including on the price level) on the other.

In Marx’s explanation of the movement of the capitalist economy in its
totality, the formula ceteris paribus is meaningless. Excessive (or
insufficient) emission of paper money never occurs in a vacuum. It always
occurs at a given stage of the business cycle, and in a given phase of the
longer-term historical evolution of capitalism. It is thereby always
combined with given ups and downs of the rate of profit, of productivity of
labour, of output, of market conditions (overproduction or insufficient
production). Only in connection with these other fluctuations can the
effect of paper money ‘inflation’ or ‘deflation’ be judged, including the
effect on the general price level. The key variables are in the field of
production. The key synthetic resultant is in the field of profit. Price
moments are generally epiphenomena as much as they are signals. To untwine
the tangle, more is necessary than a simple analysis of the fluctuations of
the quantity of money.

Only in the case of extreme runaway inflation of paper money would this be
otherwise; and even in that border case, relative price movements
(different degrees of price increases for different commodities) would
still confirm that, in the last analysis, the law of values rules, and not
the arbitrary decision of the Central Banks or any other authority
controlling or emitting paper money.

--

www.marxmail.org