[Marxism] White supremacy and Scots, Jews, San Patricios

Calvin Broadbent calvinbroadbent at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 12 09:38:12 MDT 2005

I don't think that there is much evidence that white people, as a 'race' in
America, were leagues ahead of governments and institutions when it came to
the issue of white supremacy. In any case, they nearly always accepted what
their masters offered them by way of racial ascendancy.

You are right that the North did arm slaves; it was that arming that
effectively ended the South's willingness to fight on. Also, I only argued
that the South tentatively offered to free *some* black slaves in return for
armed service.

As regards the 'this' in my "this entail extensive white solidarity with
blacks"; I was referring to the rejection of the Southern cause by white
southerners.

Anyhow, I will say no more for now, as I am not at all well read on the
history of the American civil war. Could Louis and Mark and others possibly
recommend a good overall history of the conflict?!

MARK LAUSE WROTE:

As to whether "this entail extensive white solidarity with blacks"--and
what Calvin means "this" (emancipation, arming blacks or whatever) isn't
clear--race relations were never a simple and singular phenomena here.
In general, people were always leagues ahead of their institutions and
governments on this matter, as on others.  So they were in that
period....