[Marxism] Fwd: Pro-Chavez Union Leaders in Venezuela Urge Chavez to Do Better

David Walters dwalters at marxists.org
Wed Oct 12 16:57:30 MDT 2005

This is the kind of wide ranging debate that makes the Bolivarian
Revolution so fascinating and why I have optimism about the situation
in Venezuela (even though the tone of this article is very negative
and critical). The issues being debated are ones should be highly
interesting to Marxists, especially union members and to all
supporters, world-wide, of the Revolution in Venezuela.

--David Walters

Original: http://venezuelanalysis.com/news.php?newsno=1780

Pro-Chavez Union Leaders in Venezuela Urge Chavez to Do Better

By: Alessandro Parma - Venezuelanalysis.com

Caracas October 07, 2005—During a protest rally last Thursday,
Orlando Chirinos, the leader of the National Union of Workers (UNT),
said he is pushing for trade union elections to take place quickly
and criticized how slow the progress for workers in Venezuela has
been. Also, Ramon Machuca, a leading trade unionist and head of a
steelworkers union, has alleged that the Governor of Bolivar State,
Rangel Gomez, is corrupt. As a result, both men are criticizing
President Hugo Chavez and his party, the MVR, due to their connection
with these issues.

The increasing criticism from Chirinos and Machuca is significant
because both occupy significant leadership roles in the pro-Chavez
union movement. Two years ago, unions sympathetic to Chavez and his
Bolivarian Revolution split from the Venezuelan Confederation of
Workers (CTV) and formed a new national union federation, the
National Union of Workers (UNT). Ever since its formation, factions
within it have been debating how close the new federation should be
to the Chavez government and who should lead it. Chrinos and Machuca
are seen as leading opposing factions in this debate.

On Wednesday, Orlando Chirinos put pressure on the National Electoral
Commission (CNE) to set a date for elections in his trade union
federation. He has done this by saying publicly that the National
Electoral Commission will reply to his request for an election date
by October 10. Chirinos, speaking in Plaza O’Leary in Caracas said,
“We want a clean and transparent election. We want one without
intimidation. I have spoken with the CNE to make sure that this
happens.” UNT elections were originally to take place in early 2005,
but have been announced and postponed for most of the year now.

Chirinos also expressed concern about the workers situation in
Venezuela. “We have a public sector that pretends its workers are
happy when they aren’t. We need conditions that suit the needs of the
workers. For the defense of the country it’s sovereignty and
independence against Imperialism.”

In an interview this week with the newspaper El Mundo, Chirinos as
quoted making several critical comments about government labor
policy. He said that President Chavez, “has to cease making
unilateral declarations on the minimum wage. We have demanded this
for two years and accomplished it, but there is a problem… workers
are not receiving the minimum wage country-wide.”

Chirinos also criticized some of the labor laws that the government
passed at the beginning of Chavez’s presidency, saying that they left
too much power in the hands of bosses. He said, “The employers can
unilaterally dismiss their workers when they like.” He said that part
of the problem was the lack of internal debate in the unions, just as
there is in political parties at this time.

Chirinos’ critical comments do not appear to have hurt his relations
with the government. Yesterday afternoon he met with the Minister of
Labor María Cristina Iglesias to discuss the details of the benefits
for his union members. It is expected that his union’s terms will be
agreed to. He is also expected to meet with the Vice President, José
Vicente Rangel, on Monday to discuss UNT elections.

Similarly, another pro-Chavez union leader, Ramon Machuca, who is the
leader of SUTISS, the steelworkers union of the SIDOR steel
production plant in eastern Venezuela, has been attacking one of his
political rivals. In an interview on Thursday with the weekly paper
Quinto Dia, Machuca alleged that Rangel Gomez, the pro-Chavez
Governor of Bolivar State, was involved in defrauding Machuca’s
members of millions of dollars when he was the head of the Venezuelan
Corporation of Guyana, the CVG. The CVG is a state holding company
that has a 40% share in the SIDOR steel plant. According to a
collective agreement the workers in the plant are supposed to receive
30% of the profits. Machuca said, “I have the numbers of deposits and
receipts that SIDOR made at the CVG and the amount is in the millions
of dollars.” However, the private consortium that owns the other 60%
has apparently paid them none of this for several years.

There have been many protests about this recently, but this is the
first time that Machuca has alleged wrongdoing on the part of
Governor Rangel Gomez and the CVG. He said, “I don’t have a concrete
explanation what happened with this money or with the workers’ part
of the money. Undoubtedly something shady has occurred.” He also
said, “As a Trade Union we are not permitted to find out precisely
what has happened with the surpluses in the bank and we cannot get a
reply from Rangel Gomez.”

Machuca has said that he will take this matter to Hugo Chavez, “He is
a friend of mine, he respects my revolutionary position and I respect
his leadership.” He added, “I have much information to give to the
President on the topic of effectiveness and the quality of the
revolution in government.” He also said that Chavez was becoming
distant from the common people and didn’t always understand what was
happening. “The situation down here is not what the President is
hearing. Down here it is very worrying. There are many problems with
the situation of the workers and of the people. The President knows a
lot about what is happening at the higher levels of society but less
about what is going on at this level.”

Some say that Machuca’s attack on Rangel Gomez is because of his
personal rivalry and is politically motivated. On last Sunday’s Alo
Presidente, Hugo Chavez called Machuca a friend and urged him to
accept that he had lost the election to Rangel Gomez and not to “make
trouble in Bolivar.” Rangel Gomez is not Machuca’s only rival. In
Plaza O’Leary, on Thursday, Orlando Chirinos said, “It’s no secret
that Ramon Machuca is a very ambitious person and that he wanted to
be the president of the UNT.” He also said, “We don’t agree on
things… he has a caudillo-like vision, an individualist vision and an
individualist movement is not a trade union movement.