[Marxism] Brenner thesis

Shane Hopkinson chen9692000 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 12 19:37:35 MDT 2005

Hi

I have been trying to get my head around some of this debate. I read Ellen Wood's 'Origins' and quite like it - though I took away her criticism of the standard reading of the transition to capitalism as a more or less 'natural' unfolding of capitalism from underneath feudal relations rather than the eurocentrism.

I have only had a chance to read Louis' first piece on Brenner and it was good to get some context for these debates. It strikes me as extraordinary that the connections between capitalism and slavery weren't somewhat self-evident.

The reason I am writing though was to ask if anyone knows of any references that look at these debates in the context of Australia. It seems that as a former British colony which dispossessed the Indigenous population and began life as a prison camp and developed into a modern capitalist state would be a interesting case study of some of these questions.

Cheers

Shane