[Marxism] Brenner, Post, Capital, Now and Later

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Oct 13 07:29:18 MDT 2005

>Check out the differences between railroads in the north US vs the south
>US at the
>time of and during the civil war.
>
>Check out how critical that becomes as the north mobilizes to move the
>Army of the
>Potomac west to Tennessee to rescue Rosencranz.
>

>rr

I see no reason to disagree with this as long as we understand the clash
between the North and the South in terms of different sectors of the
capitalist class. The Northern bourgeoisie viewed slavery as inimical to
its own interests and sought to integrate the South into a nationally
unified economy based on wage labor and manufacturing. The Southern
bourgeoisie preferred to maintain the plantation system and all the customs
that went along with that, including racial subjugation. What I can't
accept is the notion that the slavocracy was outside the capitalist system
in the way, for example, that certain preserves for indigenous peoples in
the Amazon rainforest are outside the capitalist system. We are not dealing
with Yanomami but a bourgeoisie that had commercial ties all across the
world, particularly in Great Britain. After dispensing with the Asiatic
mode, Marx and Engels identified 4 distinct economic categories in human
history: tribal, ancient, feudal, and capitalist. I can't imagine anybody
believing that the USA was divided between an ancient (or feudal) system
and a capitalist system before the Civil War. The South was the main engine
of economic growth during the early years of the Republic. The Southern
bourgeoisie swore by John Locke, not Thomas Aquinas. This was a capitalist
system that employed slave labor at its core. Eventually that would change,
of course.

--

www.marxmail.org