[Marxism] Re: Peak oil

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Oct 14 16:23:36 MDT 2005

Bob M:
>I haven't followed this thread but from the above I assume there are
>some on the list who buy into the "oil is running out" variant of the
>peak oil thesis. The NYTs  Canadian correspondent, Clifford Krauss, no
>friend of the oil industry, wrote Sunday on the rush by Anglo-American
>oil giants, ExxonMobil, Royal Dutch Shell and Chevron Texaco to plow
>major investments into the Athabaska oil sands region in northern
>Alberta.
>
>( www.nytimes.com/2005/10/09/international/americas/09canada.html)

Actually, a peak oil theorist has explained the interest in oil sands as a
reaction to the growing unavailability of *cheap* oil in politically stable
areas:

Oil sands are likewise reputed to be potential substitutes for conventional
oil. The Athabasca oil sands in northern Alberta contain an estimated 870
billion to 1.3 trillion barrels of oil -- an amount equal to or greater
than all of the conventional oil extracted to date. Currently, Syncrude (a
consortium of companies) and Suncor (a division of Sun Oil Company) operate
oil sands plants in Alberta. Syncrude now produces over 200,000 barrels of
oil a day. The extraction process involves using hot-water flotation to
remove a thin coating of oil from grains of sand, then adding naphtha to
the resulting tar-like material to thin it so that it can be pumped.
Currently, two tons of sand must be mined in order to yield one barrel of
oil. As with oil shale, the net-energy figures for oil sands are
discouraging. Geologist Walter Youngquist notes "it takes the equivalent of
two out of each three barrels of oil recovered to pay for all the energy
and other costs involved in getting the oil from the oil sands.

The primary method used to process oil sands yields an oily wastewater. For
each barrel of oil recovered, 2.5 barrels of liquid waste are pumped into
huge ponds. In the Syncrude pond, 14 miles in circumference, 20 feet of
murky water floats on a 130-foot-thick slurry of sand, silt, clay, and
unrecovered oil. Residents of northern Alberta have engaged in activist
campaigns to close down the oil sands plants because of devastating
environmental problems, including displacement of native people,
destruction of boreal forests, livestock deaths, and an increase in
miscarriages.

Replacing conventional crude with oil sands to meet the world's energy
appetite would require about 700 additional plants the size of the existing
Syncrude plant. Together, they would generate a waste pond the size of Lake
Ontario. While oil sands represent a potential energy asset for Canada,
they cannot make up for the inevitable decline in the global production of
conventional oil.

full:
http://www.earthisland.org/eijournal/new_articles.cfm?articleID=713&journalI
D=69