[Marxism] Re Peak Oil

Rod Holt rholt at planeteria.net
Fri Oct 14 19:59:32 MDT 2005

Louis's source (Oct. 14, 3:23 pm PST) is Richard Heinberg, who is very
far from reliable, in my opinion. The article is in the Fall 2003 issue
of Earth Island Journal and titled "End of the Oil Age."

Heinberg's outlook can be seen most directly in his book "Powerdown,"
New Society Publishers, 2004. Therein, he advocates building *life
boats* where the historical division of labor is reversed inside remote
communities. This is a sort of hippyish-utopian scheme where
de-industrialization is carefully carried out so that the bennies of
21st century science remain (somehow). It is also maintained that the
now-existing 6 billion people who are prevented from this idyllic estate
by sickness, poverty, imperialist domination, etc. can go straight to
hell without stopping at Go nor collecting $200.

This apocalyptic Malthusian can also be read through his "Muse Letters"
on line. Number 159 contains a soft version of his beliefs. For example:

    ...Food is energy. And it takes energy to get food. These two facts,
    taken together, have always established the biological limits to the
    human population and always will.
    ... food must yield more energy to the eater than is needed in order
    to acquire the food.
    ...Therefore, even with clever refinements in tools and techniques,
    in crops development and animal breeding, it was inevitable that
    humans would reach a point of diminishing returns in their ability
    to continue increasing their energy harvest, and therefore the size
    of their population.

Then he observes that "sustainable agriculture" which does not consume
fossil fuels is knowledge and labor intensive; without an extensive
fossil fuel transportation system, a fossil fuel driven commercial and
home refrigeration system, etc., people will have to live close to the
farm. Very large cities are impossible. Ultimately, he states, "Even
though it may not be politically correct in many circles to discuss the
population problem, we must recognize that we are nearing or past
fundamental natural limits, no matter which course we pursue." In fact,
Heinberg thinks we are far past the sustainable population--by, say, a
factor of four.

Unfortunately, Heinberg think we have almost no time to
de-industrialize; that the masses in the industrial countries are too
short sighted, too ignorant, and too slow to adopt new forms of social
organization. Therefore they must be led, by the nose, if necessary, by
the philosopher-scientist king.
[some of these conclusions are my own.]

--rod