[Marxism] Re Peak Oil

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Oct 14 23:04:59 MDT 2005

Jon Flanders wrote:

> On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 21:04 -0500, Carrol Cox wrote:
> > There is no doubt about the environmental damage (including,
> > preeminently, global warming) we are facing, but I remain sceptical of
> > the agitational and organizational usefulness of that fact.
>
> Really? From my discussions with people I think there is a sea change
> going on over both global warming and excessive energy consumption in
> the US.

That has been the case for a long time -- a mostly passive response,
however. The necessary changes will not be made under capitalism. For
the issue to have organizational importance it must be capable of
generating active participation at a rather high level. I remain
sceptical -- people will feel hopeless on this issue. Organizational
issues must generate both anger and hope.

Carrol