[Marxism] Re: Peak oil

Macdonald Stainsby mstainsby at resist.ca
Sat Oct 15 00:11:24 MDT 2005

robert montgomery wrote:

> I haven't followed this thread but from the above I assume there are
> some on the list who buy into the "oil is running out" variant of the
> peak oil thesis. The NYTs  Canadian correspondent, Clifford Krauss, no
> friend of the oil industry, wrote Sunday on the rush by Anglo-American
> oil giants, ExxonMobil, Royal Dutch Shell and Chevron Texaco to plow
> major investments into the Athabaska oil sands region in northern
> Alberta.

"No friend of the oil industry", hmm? His articles on the ongoing attack
on the north are absolutely wonderful from the point of view of the oil
companies, both in the case of global warming and in the case of northern
Alberta, he has completely ignored that this process effects the MAJORITY
of the population of the region, the indigenous nations still standing
proudly on their lands.

His treatment of both the proposed Mackenzie/Deh Cho Valley pipelines,
combined with basic ignorance around what an "opportunity" is being
provided be the break up of pack ice in the north are has much to answer
for. His role is perfect: only mention these interests as simple interests
of capital. Then all can safely assume that whatever is being done to
these nations is "inevitable", that oil must be extracted, greenhouse gas
emissions extended in the process, and annihilate the nations who live
there, and have always remained the majority for ten of thousands of
years. After all, no stopping progress.

Krauss' role has always been capital reporter, dressed in objective
clothing. His articles either omit or distort vastly what is at stake as
Canada proceeds to gather the second largest oil deposits in the world
(after Saudi Arabia), by destroying the Arctic Region, taking everyone on
the earth uncontrollably with them.

--
Macdonald Stainsby
http://independentmedia.ca/survivingcanada/