[Marxism] Re Peak Oil

David Walters dwalters at marxists.org
Sat Oct 15 15:25:24 MDT 2005

"Thank you for you interesting post. Can you expand on (or point to
other
sources) this "glassification" process? And whether it contains latent
radioactivity?"

Bill, Les' response is correct, there is no 'de-radioactivity' of the
waste, it simply stops it's potential *to leak*: by gassing out,
pouring out into the water table or blowing away, as in dust.

I read about this more than a decade ago and haven't seen much since
but then the journals I read are general engineering journals for
power production that usually excludes things like nukes.

Of course such *glassification* is a great advance and should be
employed, should it's promise be true, even if every nuke was
shutdown tomorrow since the waste is around no matter how much we
dislike how it was produced.

So...we have this waste, which is currently held at the same nuclear
plants that produced, upwards of 50 years ago or more. They are
running out of space. While the amount in tonnage is great, the
actual physical space the waste takes up now is contained two ways:
liquid low level waste (meaning 'less than a lot' as opposed to truly
a 'litte') is contained mostly in ponds. The nastier really higher
level stuff are in containers. Many are actually in simply steel oil
drums that can and have been eaten through. Not good: it has to be
dealt with.

The other kinds of waste include gasses and actual plant components
including fuel rods.

Overall, the amount of waste is less than other industries and is
contained on plant sites, which makes the total amount relatively
'small', smaller than most land fills to day.

David