[Marxism] Re Peak Oil

Les Schaffer schaffer at optonline.net
Sun Oct 16 03:25:08 MDT 2005

Les Schaffer quoted:

>    Our interest in radiation damage effects comes from the problem of
>    safe handling of
>    radioactive materials that are of no use to us, but possess enough

i am beginning to hate Thunderbird. attempts to format quoted material
by indenting to the right brings the return of the damned staircase effect.

so much for high tech solutions???

speaking of waste handling, see the article in the NY Times today about
garbage collection in New Orleans:

NEW ORLEANS - On one front lawn, a two-foot-high pile of debris stands
where a hedge would normally be. A rusting mattress lies next to a
bottle of cleaning fluid and a television set. The stench of paint
combined with weeks-old food is choking. Flies hover over the whole
thing, zeroing in on a handful of foil-wrapped chocolate eggs.

Piles of debris dot lawns and streets all over New Orleans, especially
in parts of town where regular trash collection still has not resumed.

This is just one pile. There are thousands upon thousands of others,
totaling 22 million tons of waste, according to state officials. They
have baked in the swampy heat for weeks now, making this city look and
smell like a landfill.

It is more trash than any American city produces in a year. It is enough
to fill the Empire State Building 40 times over. It will take at least
3.5 million truckloads to haul it away. "It is absolutely and completely
revolting," Kathleen McGoey said on a recent day as she stood in front
of a mound of Sheetrock, wicker chairs and moldy clothes outside an
apartment building she owns.

[snip]

It is the largest, and most complicated, cleanup in American history.

More than a month after Hurricane Katrina, the state and the Army Corps
of Engineers, which has been assigned to coordinate the effort, have
just begun trying to figure out how to sort the blanket of debris. There
are probably thousands of tons of household chemicals like bleach and
pesticides. There are toxic substances like Freon and mercury.

"What we have looking at us in the face isn't like anything we've seen
before," said Jim Pogue, a spokesman for the corps. "We've got to get
this out of here as soon as possible." But officials acknowledge that
could mean months, if not years.

The corps has already awarded $2 billion in contracts to get rid of the
waste in the region - more than three times the annual operating budget
of the city of New Orleans. State officials predict that the cost could
grow substantially.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/10/16/national/nationalspecial/16garbage.html?hp&ex=1129521600&en=a05e638c82c82ce4&ei=5094&partner=homepage

les schaffer