[Marxism] Cindy Sheehan on Hilary Clinton

Jon Flanders jonathan.flanders at verizon.net
Sun Oct 16 14:21:00 MDT 2005

Published on Sunday, October 16, 2005 by CommonDreams.org

Supporting Hillary

by Cindy Sheehan

  I would love to support Hillary for President if she would come out
against the travesty in Iraq. But I don't think she can speak out
against the occupation, because she supports it.

I will not make the mistake of supporting another pro-war Democrat for
president again: As I won't support a pro-war Republican.

This country wants this occupation to end. The world wants the
occupation to end. People in Iraq want this occupation to end.

Senator Clinton: taking the peace road would not prove you are weak.
Instead, it would prove that you are the strongest and wisest candidate.
As a mom, as an American, as a patriot: I implore you to have the
strength and courage to lead the fight for peace.

I want to support you, I want to work for you, but like many American
moms, I will resist your candidacy with every bit of my power and
strength unless you show us the wisdom it takes to be a truly great
leader.

Prove that you are "passionate" and reflect our nations' values and
refusal to support imperialism, greed and torture.

Senator Clinton: come out against this occupation of Iraq. Not because
it is the politically expedient thing to do but because it is the humane
thing to do. If you want to make Casey's sacrifice count, bring the rest
of his buddies home alive.

                                  ***

I did meet with Sen. Clinton, along with Sen. Harry Reid, on September
22, 2005. No one has asked me how it went with Sen. Reid, but I've been
asked about my meeting with Sen. Clinton many times. A few days earlier
in Brooklyn, I had referred to her as waiting for a politically
"expedient" moment to speak out against the war in Iraq. I, of course,
think that this tactic is wrong, because politics has nothing to do with
the slaughter going on in Iraq. No one asked the almost 2000 Americans
and tens of thousands of innocent Iraqis who have been killed what
political party they were rooting for. When a mother receives the news
that her son or daughter has been killed for lies she never thinks "Oh
no, how could this have happened? I am a Democrat(Republican)!!!"

Playing politics with our soldiers' lives is despicable.

I thought the meeting with Sen. Clinton went well. I thought she
listened and heard what we had to say. I went with another Gold Star
Mother, Lynn Braddach, and my sister, Dede Miller. After Sen. Reid left,
Mrs. Clinton stayed for a few more moments and she told us that she had
met with the other Gold Star Mothers who had a different view from ours.
I said it didn't really matter, because our view is right. Lynn, Dede,
and I don't want our loved ones to be used as political pawns to justify
the killing spree in Iraq. I can't believe any mother who has had her
heart and soul torn out would wish that on another mother. How often do
the lies have to be exposed before every American (elected official,
media representative, average citizen) wakes up and says, "enough
killing is enough!"

I thought Mrs. Clinton listened, but apparently she didn't because
immediately afterwards she said the following to Sarah Ferguson of the
Village Voice:

"My bottom line is that I don't want their sons to die in vain... I
don't believe it's smart to set a date for withdrawal... I don't think
it's the right time to withdraw."

That quote sounds exactly like what the few Republicans I talked to that
week said. Making sure that our children did not die in "vain" sounds
exactly like something George Bush says. A "date" for withdrawal? That
sounds like Rush Limbaugh to me. That doesn't sound like an opposition
party leader speaking to me. What Sen. Clinton said after our meeting
sounds exactly like the Republican Party talking points I heard from
Senators Dole and McCain.

Sen. Clinton is in California today to raise money for her political
campaigns. An invitation to one star-studded gala reads:

"We must stand with Senator Clinton as she stands up for what we believe
in. Hillary is and always has been our champion in the White House and
the Senate." And she's one of the "strongest, most passionate and
intelligent Democrats."

I didn't get an invitation to any of the events, but maybe it's because
she doesn't stand up for what I believe in. I don't believe in
continuing this occupation of Iraq and I don't believe in killing more
of our soldiers because my son has already been needlessly and
tragically killed. I don't believe she is passionate. I think she is a
political animal who believes she has to be a war hawk to keep up with
the big boys. She is intelligent, there's no doubt about that. However,
I believe that the intelligent thing for Democrats to do for 2006 and
2008 would be to come out strongly and correctly against the botched,
bungled, illegal, and immoral occupation of Iraq.

62% of Americans now believe that this war is based on lies and
betrayals and want our troops to start coming home. 53% of Americans
want our troops to come home immediately. The last time I looked,
Democrats did not comprise 62% of our population. Americans oppose this
war in overwhelming numbers and it crosses party lines. Because America
can see that the war in Iraq has fueled terrorism and has made the world
and our country less secure. America can see that the murder of
innocents is not a "right and left" issue, it is a "right and wrong"
issue.

Sixty-nine of our best and brightest have been sent meaninglessly and
unnecessarily to their premature deaths since I met with Mrs. Clinton on
September 22nd. Sixty-nine mothers and fathers and who knows how many
spouses, brothers, sisters, sons, daughters, cousins, and friends have
been meaninglessly and unnecessarily sent into tailspins of grief and
emptiness since that meeting.

We all know that Sen. Clinton, along with many other Representatives and
Senators voted to give George Bush the authority to invade a sovereign
nation that was no threat to the USA. We know that they spinelessly
abrogated their constitutional responsibility and duty to declare war.
We (and most of them) know that voting to give an irresponsible person
authority to wage war was a devastating mistake. But I know that knowing
all of that will not bring my son or almost 2000 other Americans back
and it won't bring back that nation's war dead, either.