[Marxism] Nuclear power

Rod Holt rholt at planeteria.net
Sun Oct 16 19:11:59 MDT 2005

Well, we do have a problem here. Patrick Bond tells us that nuclear
power *does* produce CO2. Then he forwards, from a book author he
evidently believes, the news that "large amounts of CO2 are generated
through mining, transport and especially uranium enrichment. Nuclear
power generation thus creates over 8 tons / GWh of power that is
delivered - much more than renewable energy sources."

Is this 8 tons (7.2 tonnes) of CO2 per GW-hour a good number or a bad
number?
Now: 1 tonne of charcoal (nearly pure carbon) will produce 3.67 tonnes
of CO2 and 28.6 million BTUs. At 10,676 BTU per KW-hour, we get only 2.6
MW-hours from 1 tonne of charcoal. Therefore, 1 tonne of CO2 is the
by-product of producing 729KW-hours. And 7.2 tonnes of CO2 is the
by-product of producing 5.26 MW-hours.

These numbers are for conventional power plants, and one of these
producing 1GW will produce 1,371 tonnes of CO2 each hour. If the
incidental energy needed to sustain a 1 GW nuclear plant is such that
7.2 tonnes of CO2 are produced every hour, then this is 0.525% of what a
conventional plant produces; a 200:1 improvement. Not too bad. And with
some inginuity we could probably drastically reduce the amount of
hydrocarbons currently being used in mining and refining.

Now, what was it Patrick was excited about?
       -rod

Patrick Bond wrote:

> Yikes comrade, that's definitely not true, when you take into account
> a variety of ancilliary processes.

[snip]