[Marxism] Marxism as Fascism

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Mon Oct 17 12:21:51 MDT 2005

      Syndicalism also comes out of a reaction to the bureaucratic
reformism that was being advocated within the Second International
at the time.  It was the almost inevitable response to the almost
Kantian mechanistic belief in progress that was held by many of the
key figures in that structure.  I think that that linkage with the
workers' movement should also be remembered.  The Sorel book is
really odd.  It combines militant Marxism (Sorel remained a marxist,
and was an advocate of the the Bolshevik revolution), really odd
religious interpretation, and was engaged in a specific reading of
Gustav LeBon's The Crowd (the last is a bit more speculative,
although it was an important work of the period.)  There are very
interesting moments in the work, and genuinely disturbing ones.  I
think that Sorel's influence on Gramsci was a bit more long lasting
than implied here.  I think you can even see it in the prison
writings.....

                                 robert wood