[Marxism] Re Peak Oil

Jon Flanders jonflanders at jflan.net
Mon Oct 17 19:20:08 MDT 2005

By the way, I just finished reading Matthew Simmons "Twilight in the
Desert", his book on Saudi oil production.

On page  288  there is a chart of the production of super giant oil
fields, showing their production over time. Samotlor, the greatest
Russian field is listed. Samotlor peaked in 1982 at a little over 3
million barrels a day. 1990 found production fallen to 1.5 million
barrels a day, by 1994 it was down to less than 500,000 barrels a day.

I believe that Mark Jones said that Soviet oil production was the key to
the collapse of the Soviet Union. You can see it graphically in that
Samotlor decline curve. As you can see why Russia slashed Cuba's quota.

Simmons asks why the future of the Saudi's Ghawar  should be any
different. Good question.

Jon Flanders