[Marxism] re: General Motors trampled mass transit

Jon Flanders jonflanders at jflan.net
Mon Oct 17 19:51:57 MDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-17 at 18:23 -0700, tylerk at ucla.edu wrote:
> I am wondering why this model isn't more widely adopted
> around the states and the answer most people I talk to give me is
> "it's too fair" compared with sales taxes so it will never fly. Any
> ideas out there? Any public finance economists on this list? I would
> love to talk about this with folks.

I'm not a public finance analyst, but I did drive a public authority bus
for four years.

Typically city transit systems get less than half of their revenue from
the fare box. Here in NY state, the rest comes from the state and
federal government.

What is really wrong with the proposal you mention is that immediately
the local ruling class types will start screaming about driving away
business.

That's the problem with all "fair" tax proposals. They are bad for
business. So far that argument works here in the USA.

Jon Flanders