[Marxism] Re Peak Oil

Rod Holt rholt at planeteria.net
Mon Oct 17 23:03:27 MDT 2005

Thanks for the correction. The "promised" oil is a mystery to me, given
your figures. I got the "95% of promised" from Benglesdorf, pg. 167. She
says, "While as of September 30, 1991, almost all (95 percent) of the
agreed-upon oil had been received, almost no other petroleum products
had arrived."

You are right; What - indeed - was "promised" after 1991? Since you have
the numbers, what is Cuba's oil consumption today? Heinberg says
("Powerdown," 2004, pg.108), "However, [Cuba's] oil imports are still
only a fraction of what they were before the Soviet collapse." Is this
still true?

"Vindicating" Heinberg is a very ambitious goal.  The fact that my
number led me astray does not mean Heinberg was correct. He didn't quote
a number on Cuban oil imports. Heinberg made a sweeping statement, "The
Cuban GDP fell by 85 percent." I'd appreciate it if you could find
justification for this startling statement.

I'd suggest reading Heinberg long enough to get the broad meaning of his
comments on Cuba.
       --rod