[Marxism] Technological optimism (was peak oil)

Andy esquincle at capital.net
Mon Oct 17 23:35:05 MDT 2005

I admire an adventuresome spirit.  I favor an open mind about
everything, including nukes, and read your posts, Rod, with interest.
And I would -- optimistically -- prefer to decline a contest over
revolutionary optimism.  I also recognize that you tempered your
remarks in an elegant way.

Yet I still find nuclear power to be the quintessential "hideous, pagan
idol who would not drink the nectar but from the skulls of the slain."
I am not convinced at all that modern science has brought this idol to
earth and made it lovable, huggable.  While the problem of nuclear
waste has been addressed briefly (and it is a huge problem),

The human cost of uranium mining and milling and processing remains --
officially, studiously uncounted and utterly staggering.  Thus far it
is a little-told story of colonial and neo-colonial slaughter (and
super-duper exploitation), primarily of native peoples, and continues
through unimaginable suffering, among masses, across the continents.
These are (and were) not only preventable illnesses and deaths but
predicted illnesses and deaths.

If the true human and environmental costs of nuclear power to date were
known, in (?hundreds of) thousands of lives lost and (? billions of)
hours of human suffering and (? tens of  thousands of) ecosystems
forever ruined, I suspect that a cost-benefit analysis would make a
sentient reader puking sick -- and would be a poor way to promote the
idea of collective re-exploration of the idea.  (This is not to reject
the possibility of technological progress but to attempt to ground the
issues in the present circumstances.)

I find the work safety, social and environmental issues surrounding
uranium mining and milling and processing so utterly unacceptable
presently that I would suggest that scientifically here and now the
correct suggestion should be "there is no right way to do a wrong
thing."  For now, I favor the Navajo ban on uranium mining.  I like the
Dine College Uranium Education Project slogan: "Uranium: Leave it in
the ground."

Andy Coates