[Marxism] Re Peak Oil

Jon Flanders jonflanders at jflan.net
Tue Oct 18 17:54:31 MDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-10-18 at 16:31 -0700, Rod Holt wrote:
> Further, on June 14, 2005, Chavez and Castro announced
> that Venezuela would increase the oil sent to Cuba on preferential
> terms to 33 million bbl /year. Assuming Cuba has no other source of
> oil, when this added to its own production Cuba has no less than
> 62million bbl/year. Isn't this closer to 2/3rds of the 1989 level?

Heinberg was talking about imports, not Cuba's own production, which
they have made great efforts to increase, by seeking to attract outside
investment, from both India and China, among others.

Two thirds is still a fraction of the 1989 level. Try to imagine what
the US would look like if the country had to operate on 2/3's of the oil
we now consume. It would be a disaster from coast to coast.

You were accusing Heinberg of being an unreliable source of facts. So
far you have not made the case, except to say that he is not a Marxist,
which is true.

So I think that we can close this discussion at this point.

Jon Flanders