[Marxism] Bourgeois tasks

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Wed Oct 19 06:36:57 MDT 2005

When one reads this, it is still more painful to confront American
cdes. who can't understand the dynamics of national and social
revolution in Latin America.  If you want to have a good guide to
Latin American struggles today, you only need to pepper this (so
definitely American) stew, and pepper it heavily, with imperialist
intervention.

Which is not so hard to do, indeed. Just imagine the British partners
of the Southern slavocracy owning and ruling a good deal of Northern
factories, and --Presto!  There you have Latin America in the making.

Maybe this is one of the dimensions of the American Civil War that
passes ususpected today -yes of course at the service of the
bourgeoisie (whoever else?).  I would also point out the central role
of military chiefs in American politics immediately after the Civil
War as another similarity with things that happened in L.A.

Enviado por:marxism-request at lists.econ.utah.edu
Con fecha:18 Oct 2005, a las 22:31

> Labor historian Bruce Laurie was surprised to find that the political
> sympathies of antebellum Massachusetts workers' leaders were hardcore
> Whiggish. I think this resulted from the influence of Wilentz's Chants
> Democratic. As Mark L, Jim F and others have pointed out, the Whig
> descendants of Hamilton were the party of big government, protective
> tariffs, internal improvements (canals, highways, railroads etc)--
> essentially proto-statists who wanted government to fund
> infrastructure needed for industrial capitalism. They also feared the
> centrifugal tendencies of the ultra-laissez faire Jacksonians; so they
> could also be seen as the Party of Order. It's often missed that
> Jackson's slogan "Special Privileges for None; Equal Opportunities for
> All," was coined against the National Bank, and in favor of
> decentralized banking and unbridled speculation. His main social base
> was westering white males on the make. This isn't to romanticize the
> Whigs who abolitionists dubbed the "Lords of the Loom" after their
> mill owning leaders. When Reagan came along he reminded me of no one
> as much as Andrew Jackson. The more interesting question is where
> Wilentz comes from. Bob M

Este correo lo ha enviado
Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar