[Marxism] Welcomed Back

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Sun Oct 23 17:41:58 MDT 2005

dwalters

-clip-
I may even disagree with some of the more ortho-Trotskyists on this list,
but I think that in this country there never was a Pop-Front. The CP tried
and had some alliances with  Democrats here and there, but there never was
any actual popular front. So, the idea that Henry Wallace was 1. A symp of
the CP is far fetched and 2. that his selection as Vice-Pres. was the result
of this "alliance" is even more silly. The CP was simply too weak for that,
although it
wasn't without influence.

^^^
CB: Well, u teach me some history here. I'm trying to think how this impacts
the assessment of the CP. I guess it depends on whether one faults them for
being too weak, that is ,whether it was their fault that they were too weak
or whether no communists could have been strong in the U.S. at that time.

I'm thinking I should look into Wallace's bio. Was he a bourgeois politician
?

Tbe main pop front was between the U.S. and SU,then,with the CPUSA as bit
players.

^^^^^

One the reasons the CP failed miserably around establishing a popular front
was because there was no wing of the ruling class that saw it as necessary,
especially because we were never in a revolutionary situation, or near one,
during the period of the popular front: 1936-1945. So the idea of the
popular
front being a *break* on the masses such as it was in France and Spain
during this period never really arose.

As a means of struggle seen by working people,
there was no pressure on it (also, there was no serious fascist threat
either here, again, because the ruling class, through concessions to the two
union federations, was able to put a break on anything approaching a
pre-revolutionary situation).

Secondly, the SP would have nothing to do with the CP seeing it at times as
both a stooge of the USSR/Stalin or to it's right in many union situtions
inside the CIO (or, to it's left, dependeing). Regardless, the Pop Front in
the US never existed despite much time, effort and money spent on
popularizing the idea here. Without the SP, no pop-front.

David Walters

^^^^^
CB: From what you say, the CPUSA couldn't have formed either a united front
or a popular front even if it had wanted to.

Seems like supporting FDR and Wallace were about the best option they had.
And that good ole "objective conditions" were not ripe for much else, even
if they had ten American Lenins, well maybe if they had ten Lenins...