[Marxism] Re: Gay Discussion on Marxmail

Brian Shannon Brian_Shannon at verizon.net
Mon Oct 24 07:28:45 MDT 2005

[This is not substantially different from my earlier post, but since it
is short, I feel justified in some small improvements that are
important to me.]

 >There is a hurricane hitting Cuba right now, and Cuba is giving
humanity some powerful lessons on how to fight such disasters. Cuba is
offering aid to Mexico and has sent it to Pakistan. It previously
offered aid to the survivors of Hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. Alas,
none of this is of any interest to those for whom gay issues are the
most important ones facing humanity. --Walter Lippmann

This issue of sexual identity is of importance to at least the 5%
(possibly more) of the world’s population that is oppressed by
homophobia. It is also important for the 95% who need to more fully
understand homophobia and to learn to combat it in themselves and in
society.

Think how important sexual identity, practice, fantasies and human
relations are to those who are not gay. Think about how much more
intense this must be for those who are ostracized, trivialized, and
oppressed because their sexual orientation is wrapped up in the
divisions that capitalism generates both spontaneously and through
intent.

There is an old expression, one that I think Trotsky used, that
reactions are varied regarding warmth, but we all act the same when we
stick our fingers in a hot flame (certain mystics excepted of course).
As much as we are concerned with the terrible damage to Mexico, the
effects of Katrina, and the earthquake in Pakistan, that does not mean
that issues that underlie and are intimately woven into the oppression
of capitalism can be put aside. In other words, discussion of the
divisions and prejudices created by capitalism, whether of class, sex,
race, or sexual orientation, are legitimate and ongoing issues not be
pushed aside.

It perhaps should also be noted that this is a discussion list that has
legitimacy whatever else is going on. Should one say that Lenin was
wasting time writing Materialism and Empirio-Criticism? What did that
have to do with the fight for the Russian Revolution?

Invidious comparisons, such as the one implied by Walter, must be
resisted.

Brian Shannon