[Marxism] Gay discussion

g.maclennan at qut.edu.au g.maclennan at qut.edu.au
Mon Oct 24 16:42:12 MDT 2005

I have stayed out of this because my work load is piling up,
but something must be said. I think Walter's comment about
what should matter was quite off, and I say that as someone
who supports and admires his work on Cuba.

So I am with Brian on this one.

There is a point that is being missed in all this and that is
that if life is better for gays now in Cuba it is due in no
small part to the courage of Cuban gays and the international
solidarity they have drawn upon. It would have been nice to
have seen that acknowledged amidst all the apologia and
hagiography.

Now as for Phil, his point is really separate. I interpret
him as saying that the end of gay history might be achievable
within free market capitalism.  I feel that is highly
unlikely of course but *possible* in that the oppression of
gays is not central to the extraction of surplus value while
the exploitation of the working class is.

But what ever the case we should all remember that our core
business is the emancipation of each and all. So we should
resist the temptation to impatience with those who somehow or
other do not agree with us where the *real* struggle is.

To put this in simple and partisan terms, you straights
cannot condemn gay activists for not taking up the wider
struggle if you are not with us in our struggles.

regards

Gary