[Marxism] Bourgeois versus capitalist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Oct 24 18:15:35 MDT 2005

With all due respect to my good friend Nestor, I don't believe that Marx
made such a distinction. The terms bourgeoisie and capitalist were
interchangeable. Ellen Meiksins Wood makes such a distinction as well in
"Origins of Capitalism". If anybody can successfully explain what she is
trying to say, you will be my guest at one of NYC's better cheap restaurants.

---

[A]ccording to both Pirenne and his predecessors, commerce revived with the
growth of cities and the liberation of merchants. Here we come to one of
the most common assumptions associated with the commercialization model,
the association of capitalism with cities­indeed, the assumption that
cities are from the beginning capitalism in embryo. In Europe, the argument
goes, cities emerged with distinctive and unprecedented autonomy, cities
devoted to trade and dominated by an autonomous burgher (or bourgeois)
class which was to free itself once and for all from the fetters of the old
cultural constraints and political parasitism. This liberation of the urban
economy, of commercial activity and mercantile rationality, accompanied by
the inevitable improvements in techniques of production which evidently
follow from the emancipation of trade, was apparently enough to account for
the rise of modern capitalism.

All these explanations have in common certain assumptions about the
continuity of trade and markets, from their earliest manifestations in
exchange to their maturity in modern industrial capitalism. The age-old
practice of commercial profit-taking in the form of "buying cheap and
selling dear" is not, in these accounts, fundamentally different from
capitalist exchange and accumulation through the appropriation of surplus
value.

There also tends to be another common theme in these histories of
capitalism: the bourgeois as agent of progress. We have become so used to
the identification of bourgeois with capitalist that the presuppositions
secreted in this conflation have become invisible to us. The burgher or
bourgeois is, by definition, a town-dweller. Beyond that, specifically in
its French form, the word used to mean nothing more than someone of
non-noble status who, while he worked for a living, did not generally dirty
his hands and used his mind more than his body in his work. That old usage
tells us nothing about capitalism, and is likely to refer to a
professional, an office-holder, or an intellectual no less than to a
merchant. In the slippage from town-dweller to capitalist via the merchant
which occurs in the later uses of "bourgeois," we can follow the logic of
the commercialization model: the ancient town-dweller gives way to the
medieval burgher, who in turn develops seamlessly into the modern
capitalist. As a famous historian has sardonically described this process,
history is the perennial rise of the middle classes.

This is not to say that all historians who subscribe to such models have
failed to acknowledge that capitalism represents a historical break or
transformation of one kind or another. It is true that some have tended to
find not just trade but a bit of capitalism itself almost everywhere,
especially in Greek and Roman antiquity, always just waiting to be released
from extraneous impediments. But even they have generally insisted on a
major shift from the economic principles of feudalism to the new
rationality of "commercial society," or capitalism. People have often
talked, for example, about the transition from a "natural" economy to a
money economy, or even from production for use to production for exchange.
Yet if there is a major transformation in these historical accounts, it is
not in the nature of trade and markets themselves. The change is rather in
what happens to the forces and institutions­political, legal, cultural, and
ideological, as well as technological­that have impeded the natural
evolution of trade and the maturation of markets.