[Marxism] Local Politics and Global Capitalism

Paul H. Dillon illonph at pacbell.net
Tue Oct 25 17:19:06 MDT 2005

Louis,

What I   liked about the Andean story wasn't simply that it illustrated the
general contradictions of global capitalism but how clearly it illustrated
the power of the local level to throw sand in the gears of the machine and
also how capitalist enterprises function in someplace like Peru -- where
they clearly aren't part of the indigenous society -- and where the
class-based distribution of the social wealth is  more particularistic, less
systemic, equally unjust, the standard case of "necessary evils" and we
don't live like this at home  (dealings with Montesinos/Fujimori, the
compromise that Peruvian middle classes accepted to rid themselves of the
violence of Sendero and that international capital rushed in to stabilize).
But it was generally good to read that the resistance continues as well
since so much more comes out about Bolivia and Ecuador.

Paul Dillon