[Marxism] Wall Street Journal editorial on Rosa Parks

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 26 05:21:15 MDT 2005

(I wasn't reading the Wall Street Journal in 1956, but I doubt
they had much or anything good to say about the protest which
Rosa Parks helped spark against the system of institutionalized
racism which prevailed in the U.S. south at that time. Someone
should do the research and try to find this for contemporary
readers. It would, I'm certain, be most enlightening indeed.

October 26, 2005
REVIEW & OUTLOOK

Rosa Parks, R.I.P. October 26, 2005;
Page A18

By remaining seated, she took a stand. On December 1, 1955,
42-year-old Rosa Parks was riding a bus home from work in Montgomery,
Alabama. She was sitting in the "colored" section, but the rules
required black passengers to give up their seats to make room for
whites. The driver demanded that Mrs. Parks and three others
relinquish their seats so a white man could sit. She refused.

Mrs. Parks, who died Monday at 92, was arrested and fined. That
proved a pivotal event in civil rights history, as black Montgomery
residents, led by a 26-year-old minister named Martin Luther King,
mounted a boycott that lasted more than a year. It ended in December
1956 after the U.S. Supreme Court ordered the desegregation of
Montgomery's buses.

When Cindy Sheehan staged her antiwar protest outside the
Presidential ranch in August, her supporters dubbed her a "new Rosa
Parks." In truth, the differences between the two women were far more
notable than the similarities. Mrs. Parks defied an unjust law -- the
definition of civil disobedience -- and changed both minds and the
law. Still, it's a testimony to Mrs. Parks's legacy that today's
political activists look to her, not the far more numerous but
morally ambiguous protesters of the 1960s, as their ideal.