[Marxism] Jim Craven comments on gays and Cuba

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Oct 26 14:04:20 MDT 2005

(Jim Craven asked me to forward this to the lists he has posted to in the
past. Gary is Gary McLennan. For background on the discussion about Cuba
and gays, go to:
http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/marxism/2005w43/thread.htm and look
for the thread on "Gay Discussion on Marxmail.)

Gary writes:

But what ever the case we should all remember that our core
business is the emancipation of each and all. So we should
resist the temptation to impatience with those who somehow or
other do not agree with us where the *real* struggle is.

To put this in simple and partisan terms, you straights
cannot condemn gay activists for not taking up the wider
struggle if you are not with us in our struggles.

regards

Gary

I have only the highest respect for Gary M. and for his keen intellect and
often sage advice. On this one, I must respectfully disagree. First of all,
narrow identity politics (whether it is Native, LGBT, Feminism etc) is not
only reductionistic, petit-bourgeois and narcissistic, but it plays right
into the hands of the ruling class. Marxists are bound to support the
struggles of oppressed of/from capitalism and other systems of tyrrany for
no reason other than they are oppressed; it matters nothing if there is no
"reciprocity" from nominal activists or representatives of various
oppressed groups. For example, among Native groups, we have had virtually
no open support--or hidden--from any LGBT, Feminist, African-American or
Labor groups (we have had from isolated individuals) even while they called
for support from us. This changes nothing for us: oppression is oppression
whether in the form of homophobia, sexism, racism, ageism, discrimination
against the "disabled" or any other form of oppression.

Further, not all of what passses for "liberation" is or does exactly that.
Some of what passes for LGBT, Feminism, Native activism or whatever
activism is nothing more than attempting to rank-order victimhood,
narcissistic identity politics and special pleading--sort of like feminists
defining "women's liberation" as having an equal opportunity to become an
oppressor like a general in the military; a lot of the LGBT stuff is along
the same lines--having an equal opportunity to become "mainstreamed" as if
any kind of real liberation or elimination of prejudice could be achieved
through such. Some of what passes for LGBT activism is not about asking for
solidarity against prejudice and discrimination but rather asking the
"straights" to sign on to reckless, self-indulgent, libertine and
petiti-bourgeois lifestyles that often feed into reinforcing homophobia and
giving aid-and-comfort to the homophobes (please spare me the shit about
"blaming the victims"). the same can be said about Native activists who
wind up promoting ersatz "Indianness" that reinforces the worst stereotypes
about Indians and narrow petiti-bourgeois feminism that reinforces some
ugly sterotypes about women...

But the bottom line is that if any of us refuses to support the just
struggles of those oppressed groups with which we do not "identify" as the
groups to which we personally belong, because of narrow identity politics
or even resentment from lack of support from those groups for "our" groups,
then this tit-for-tat can only aid-and-abet oppression and work in the
interests of those who seek to and profit from divide-and-rule. My
experience with the LGBT activists out here for example is that most are
into "their" identity politics and little else and when we try to link up,
we wind up not more a footnote or afterthought  than a partner in struggle
against common enemies and parallel forms of oppression; the same can be
said about identity-politics-based feminism, labor activism, immigrant
activism etc--it is really only THEIR thing that really counts. This is
also, in my opinion, why the nominal "left" in the U.S. is so thoroughly
bankrupt and irrelevant and even doing the work of the "Man" with their
narrow, self-absorbed and self-selected "identity politics" and
petiti-bourgois niches in and through which they engage in narrow "struggle".

Just some thoughts to provoke thought.

Jim C.

--

www.marxmail.org