[Marxism] Maradona to lead anti-Bush march

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Fri Oct 28 09:28:52 MDT 2005

(From Doug Henwood's LBO list)

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Henwood" <dhenwood at panix.com> To:
"lbo-talk" <lbo-talk at lbo-talk.org> Sent: Friday, October 28, 2005 1:16 AM
Subject: [lbo-talk] Maradona to lead anti-Bush march

Maradona tells Cuba he'll lead anti-Bush march

HAVANA (Reuters) - Argentine soccer hero Diego Maradona promised Cuban
President Fidel Castro on Thursday he would be at the front of an anti-Bush
march in Argentina next week.

U.S. President George W. Bush will attend a summit of leaders from all
countries from the Americas -- except Cuba -- in Mar del Plata, Argentina,
November 4-5.

"I think Bush is a murderer. ... I'm going to head the march against him
stepping foot on Argentine soil," Maradona said, appearing on Cuban
television with Castro.

"I promised the 'Comandante' that I would do it and I will," the 44-year-old
football legend said, referring to Castro.

"For me he is a god," Maradona said of the 79-year-old left-wing Cuban
leader, whom he considers a friend and a father figure who helped him kick
drugs.

Maradona was in Havana to interview Castro for his weekly television show in
Argentina, which has brought the fallen star back to the limelight after
years battling cocaine addiction.

He thanked Cuba for giving him a haven for almost four years at a health
farm where he still has a house and plans to rest when his television
contract ends next year.

Maradona, one of the finest soccer players of all times, captained Argentina
to World Cup victory in 1986, but drug abuse undermined his career and
health.

Following an operation this year to staple his stomach and cut his
ballooning weight, a much slimmer Maradona launched a new career in August
as television host. His first guest was Brazilian soccer great Pele.

The Castro interview is "icing on the cake" for his top-rated show, Maradona
said.

"I was missing the greatest one, and now I have him."