[Marxism] Michael Walzer?

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Fri Oct 28 10:27:52 MDT 2005

On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 12:19:53 -0400 Jim Farmelant <farmelantj at juno.com>
writes:

> Back in 1994, Darrel Moellendorf published an article
> in Science & Society  which made use of Michael
> Walzer's version of just war theory to justify revolutionary
> struggles: a twist on Walzer's theory, that I am sure
> Walzer must have disapproved of.
>
> Moellendorf, Darrel. “Marxism, Internationalism,
> and the Justice of War,” Science and Society (USA), 58:3, Fall 1994.

Here is the abstract for that article:

This paper examines the UN provisions concerning the legitimate
use of force, which justified the 1991 Gulf War, and Michael Walzer's
arguments, which can be read as a justification of the UN provisions.
After a brief historical sketch of the approach to internationalism of
Marx, Lenin, and the early Bolshevik regime, alternative internationalist

criteria of 'Jus ad Bellum' are proposed, which assume certain forms
of common oppression among peoples of different states. If certain
forms of common oppression can be defended (in the case of Marxist
theory, exploitation and imperialism), and if one shares Walzer's
concern for individual rights, then the internationalist criteria for
'Jus ad Bellum' are morally superior to the UN's and Walzer's