[Marxism] Bill Gates's "gift" to India

Horacio Oliveira horaciooliveira at mac.com
Sat Oct 29 12:09:16 MDT 2005

And Microsoft shows it's true face...

from: http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuoteCompanyNewsArticle.jhtml?
duid=mtfh57891_2005-10-28_08-44-54_seo367555_newsml

Microsoft threatens to withdraw Windows in S.Korea
Fri Oct 28, 2005 04:44 AM ET SEOUL, Oct 28 (Reuters) - Microsoft
Corp. (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) has threatened to withdraw
its Windows software from South Korea if the country's antitrust
agency orders it to unbundle its Instant Messenger and Media Player
from the operating system.

South Korea's Fair Trade Commission (KFTC) has been investigating
allegations that the world's top software maker breached antitrust
laws by incorporating the services into Windows.
"If the KFTC enters an order requiring Microsoft to remove code or
redesign Windows uniquely for the Korean market, it might be
necessary to withdraw Windows from the Korean market or delay
offering new versions in Korea," Microsoft said in a U.S. regulatory
filing on Thursday.

The KFTC began its probe in 2001 when South Korean Internet portal
Daum Communications Corp. (035720.KQ: Quote, Profile, Research)
alleged Microsoft's bundling of the operating system with other
services broke antitrust rules. It widened the probe following a
similar complaint from RealNetworks (RNWK.O: Quote, Profile,
Research) in 2004.

A ruling could come as soon as Wednesday, a KFTC spokesman said.

"No matter what Microsoft does, we will proceed with our deliberation
and discuss it again at a plenary session on Wednesday," Lee Tae-hwi
said by telephone. "There is no change in our stance to fight unfair
business practices."

Microsoft has previously said the complaint was without merit and
that it would cooperate fully with the probe.

In the United States, Microsoft agreed to pay RealNetworks $761
million early this month to settle an antitrust suit accusing it of
using its dominance to promote its own Media Player.

After the agreement, RealNetworks said it was dropping similar suits
in South Korea and Europe.

But the Korean commission has said its investigation would not be
affected by the settlement.

Microsoft on Thursday posted a 24 percent rise in quarterly profit on
robust sales of Windows, but tempered expectations of a sales spike.