[Marxism] Blistering attack on WTO, IMF and rich nations re Africa

Louise Walker louiserw2003 at yahoo.com.au
Sun Apr 2 01:13:25 MST 2006

Massey Lectures 2005

Race Against Time

“I have spent the last four years watching people die.”

With these wrenching words, diplomat and humanitarian Stephen Lewis opens his 2005 Massey
Lectures. Lewis’s determination to bear witness to the desperate plight of so many in Africa and
elsewhere is balanced by his unique, personal, and often searing insider’s perspective on our
ongoing failure to help. Lewis recounts how, in 2000, the United Nations Millennium Summit in New
York introduced eight Millennium Development Goals, which focused on fundamental issues such as
education, health, and cutting poverty in half by 2015. In audacious prose, alive with anecdotes
ranging from maddening to hilarious to heartbreaking, Lewis shows why and how the international
community is falling desperately short of these goals.

http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/massey.html

To download the sound file to the first lecture, which has just been broadcast in Australia, go
here:

http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/media/massey/2005massey.ram

Whatever I may think about Lewis' ideas about the solutions, certainly his description of the
desperate situation in Africa and his take on some of the sources of it, deserve close attention.

On Yahoo!7
Messenger - Make free PC-to-PC calls to your friends overseas.
http://au.messenger.yahoo.com