[Marxism] Re: Ollanta Humala

Brian Shannon brian_shannon at verizon.net
Sun Apr 2 12:25:52 MDT 2006

> (I am inclined to back Humala to the hilt for no other reason that
> he has
> gotten Mario Vargas Llosa's dander up.) —Louis

This is your personal April Fool's Day joke--a day late.

The first part reads like President Lindbergh in Philip Roth's "The
Plot Against America" who wins the election and later confounds his
liberal critics by barnstorming around the nation in his airplane.
The rest leads like a prescription for the fascism that the fictional
(and real-life) Lindbergh was associated with. Purify the nation.
"Change Peru."

In his Postscript to the novel, Roth cites the following from Anne
Morrow Lindbergh, who writes critically of the "strictly puritanical
view at home that dictatorships are of necessity wrong, evil,
unstable and no good can come of them."

Brian