[Marxism] Re: Explanation

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Apr 3 21:53:49 MDT 2006

>I don't think referring to "white leftists" is race-baiting. What if
>he had said "white leftists played a stellar role in turning out
>supporters for the immigrant rights demonstration." Would that be
>race-baiting?
>
>Steffie

Of course not. But apparently you weren't reading a lot of what Joaquin has
been writing ever since this fight over Evo Morales boiled up. Here are
some tidbits:

http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/marxism/2005w51/msg00162.htm:
"Evo Morales is the leader of a mass indigenous peasant movement. His task
isn't the forging of a super-r-r-revolutionary microsectlet of the type
that seems so attractive to some white leftists..."

"Comrades! It's time to put down the white man's burden and join the fight."

http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/marxism/2005w51/msg00220.htm
The corrupting influence of imperialist privilege, citizen privilege, white
privilege, male privilege, and "middle class" privilege are all-pervasive
in this society, AS IS the complete BLINDNESS to them among many of us on
the left.

http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/marxism/2005w51/msg00233.htm
Is it separation and separation only, a promissory note redeemable only
upon the working class conquering state power, otherwise we take up the
white man's burden?

---

I can go on and on, but what's the point. I can only kick myself for not
nipping this kind of demagogy in the bud. I tended to cut Joaquin a lot of
slack because he has been such a major and brilliant contributor to the
list, but what you are reading above from December 2005 is not
qualitatively different from the harangues I used to hear from the Black
Panther Party in the late 1960s. Now that I am older and wiser, I will not
put up with it. Marxism has to proceed on the basis of an objective
analysis of the class struggle. Crude baiting of this sort degrades our
movement. If Joaquin gave a talk filled with these sorts of
characterizations to a Solidarity convention, he'd lose all credibility. I
guess that Marxmail is a place where you can let your hair down.