[Marxism] V for Vendetta

wrobert at uci.edu wrobert at uci.edu
Tue Apr 4 14:15:39 MDT 2006

>> Also, it is worth thinking about the reactions
>> that it will produce, whether or not it is 'good.'
>
> That's right. Terrorism is bad.
>
> Alan B

I'm not sure what the point of this comment is.  The conversation that I
was involved in dealt with questions about how Marxist literary criticism
should engage with the products of mass or popular culture.  Suresh had
brought up a tradition that followed Lukacs and Trotsky, where I was
bringing up a tradition tied to cultural studies.  I was arguing that the
reactions to a piece of literature are worth studying, whether or not it
is of "good" literary qualitiy. I was also arguing for the richness of
popular culture because of, not despite its contradictions and failures.
What does this have to do with terrorism?

                              robert wood