[Marxism] Ollanta Humala interview

Charles Brown cbrown at michiganlegal.org
Wed Apr 5 15:29:28 MDT 2006

Louis Proyect :

So, understanding what we know now about what was about to happen in Cuba in
1959 through 1961, how does that apply to Peru? Because Humala decries
neoliberalism, does this mean that there is a good chance that capitalism
will be abolished in Peru once he takes office? Frankly, the reason I keep
bringing up the need to apply Marxism to situations such as these is because
it is rooted in class relationships. What are the class dynamics at work in
Peru today? How are the peasants and workers mobilized and what are
their relationships to Humala? Is there something analogous to the July 26th
Movement in Peru? Unless you can begin to roll up your sleeves and dig into
the nitty-gritty of Peruvian society, you are probably better off saying
nothing than engage in idle speculation.

^^^^^
CB: Marxism is distinguished from scholasticism, not by a whole lot of
studying, but by unity of theory and practice. Rolling up one's sleeves and
studying Peru a whole lot will remain scholastic and speculative without
practice. What's the practice on this ? Who is the audience for these
reports on all this learning about Peru ?