[Marxism] contemporary nigeria reading?

mhuber at clarku.edu mhuber at clarku.edu
Sat Apr 8 10:36:39 MDT 2006

Michael Watts, at UC Berkeley Geography, has written at length on Nigeria.
His work on the 80s was a historical materialist analysis of
famine....since the mid-nineties he's been writing on Oil and Ken
Saro-Wiwa, the Ogoni, etc.

His classic book is 1983 "Silent Violence"

Check out his website for other articles--

such as,

Resource Curse?: Governmentality, Oil and Power in the Niger Delta,
Nigeria, Geopolitics [Special issue] 9/1,

2004http://geography.berkeley.edu/peoplehistory/faculty/M_Watts.html