[Marxism] Ollanta Humala: "I am one of those from below"

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 9 06:19:32 MDT 2006

(Starting from this message, you can scroll forward through another
two dozen messages, from the MIAMI HERALD, CHRISTIAN SCIENCE MONITOR,
WALL STREET JOURNAL and others on today's Peruvian election:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?V26941EEC

GRANMA INTERNATIONAL
Havana. April 8, 2006

"I am one of those from below and my idea is to govern with them and
with everyone"

http://www.granma.cu/ingles/2006/abril/sab8/16ollanta.html

. "We shall respect foreign investment although it must meet certain
requisites: the generation of employment - direct or indirect - the
transfer of technology for the country, respect its fiscal
obligations and protect the environment" . From Lima, presidential
candidate Ollanta Humala talks to Granma International

BY ALONSO DEL PRADO-Special for Granma International-

MEDIUM height, an athletic constitution, close-cut black hair and a
measured way of speaking characterize this man of 44, who spent 23 of
those years in the Peruvian Army. When he was discharged, after an
argument with his superiors for exposing shady dealings and fraud
within the force, he was a commander and had been the chief of a
military unit, in which he won the respect of officers, NCO's and
soldiers.

Now he is aspiring to the Peruvian presidency and his government
program has provoked panic in the ranks of those who openly or from
the wings control this immensely rich country but in which the
majority of its 27 million inhabitants live in poverty or bordering
on it.

Ollanta rejects labels: "I am a nationalist because I support my
nation and my people. I am not a leftist or a rightist: I am one of
those from below and I propose to govern with them - and with
everyone."

Granma International approached Ollante in a Lima hotel where he had
met with the foreign press, eager to meet one of the most vilified
men in Peruvian national history, but who is leading the opinion
polls for the elections this April 9.

"I come from a family of bankrupted farmers who had to leave the
country for the city in a desperate search for survival," he affirms.
"Agriculture, Peru's principal economic and social base, has been
remorselessly attacked. In many cases the huge latifundia conceded on
false premises include entire villages of native peoples who have
been inhumanly enslaved."

A nationalist government will reactivate agriculture, will give value
to the land, protect its cultivators, offer them financial credits,
promote their cultural, scientific and technical development, create
a sound agrarian sector, care for and develop sources of water and
conditions so that rural people do not have to emigrate and live in
slum conditions in the cities or cross the border in search of
sustenance in other lands. Agriculture is the pillar of the country's
development," he affirms, adding: "We shall begin by respecting the
rights of the poorest."

The nationalist candidate emphasizes the protection of the
environment and adds: "We support the Kyoto Protocol and will give
special attention to the precarious situation of the environment in
line with the agreements and efforts of the United Nations.

"Education is another sector that demands particular attention from a
nationalist government. The situation of 20,000 schools in the
Altiplano region is tragic. We shall make an effort to give education
to everyone, to eliminate illiteracy and guarantee the country's
present and future.

"I am going to construct the dignity of the people and their pride at
being the owners of their country. The Peruvian people are the owners
of their homeland: workers have the right to receive a decent wage
that will allow them to maintain their families and with respect for
the 8-hour working day, which has been criminally abolished," he
states.

Ollanta Humala advises that, through the country's legal mechanisms,
a nationalist government will carefully review all the concessions
granted to national and foreign investors, will take action against
corruption and oblige those who have been evading the payment of
taxes to cover them.

"We will respect foreign investment although it must meet certain
requisites: the generation of employment - direct or indirect - the
transfer of technology to the country, respect for its fiscal
obligations and protection of the environment.

"Those that meet these requisites are not going to have any
problems," stated the Peruvian nationalist candidate, adding: "We are
going to consolidate democracy, affirm the institutions and reaffirm
the concept of citizenship.

"I am against the neoliberal economic model. We want an economy at
the service of the people and have a sense of solidarity with other
Latin American countries that are trying to build a regional
economic, social, energetic agenda and one that protects the
environment, all in function of the well being of our peoples,
without exception."

In this context, Ollanta Humala notes: "I am not going to accept
pressure from any country to discriminate against another country. We
are not anti: we are pro, and we want good relations with all
nations, including Chile and Ecuador, our neighbors, based on respect
for our rights and theirs. We will have a politics of agreement and
dialogue.

"The Peruvian people are sick of corruption, of seeing how the law is
selectively applied, in favor of those who already have everything.
Moreover," he emphasizes, "there is currently a discrimination based
on language. Many indigenous people do not speak Spanish and can see
how their rights are being violated without even having the
possibility of defending themselves, because their culture belongs to
another of the seven languages spoken in the country."

And, in conclusion, Ollanta Humala leafs through a copy of Granma
International. "Sometimes," he confides with a smile, "I like to
savor a Havana cigar. Via this publication, I would like to send a
very fraternal greeting to the Cuban people."