[Marxism] Walter and overposting

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Apr 9 09:57:00 MDT 2006

>i want to add my voice to this movement. i want walter on this list, but
>i want the cross-posting to decrease by an order of magnitude, and for
>walter to start talking to / engaging with list members directly.
>
>les schaffer

Speaking of which, I pointed out that Hugo Blanco was unhappy with Humala's
identification with General Juan Velasco, who took power in a coup in 1968
and ruled until 1975 when he was overthrown by a rightwing coup. Is this
something that the left should embrace? A bid to recreate Velasco's regime?
It must be said that many of the themes appearing today in terms of
continental unity, indigenous rights, nationalizations, friendship with
Cuba, etc. appeared under Velasco. But his government was never really
popular in the way that Hugo Chavez's was today. This is the reason I keep
harping on the need to adopt a more scholarly approach to Latin American
politics. Unless we understand the past, we cannot understand the
challenges of the present.