[Marxism] Models for the Latin American left

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Sun Apr 9 13:42:42 MDT 2006

Yes, Bolivar (and others) fought for the independence of Latin American
nations from Spanish colonialism.  And their success in that alone makes
it clear that such a solution was absolutely insufficient.

Other colonialisms have proven to be much more pressing.  In Bolivar's
own day, President James Monroe issued his famous doctrine claiming US
primacy in the western hemisphere.  That has been increasingly the
problem in Latin America.

Secondly, there were the internal questions of these republics, which
were unaddressed by Bolivar and contemporary leaders.  And there were
forces in these countries who were trying to get these concerns on the
agenda.  Sorry, but opposing slavery per se is also insufficient.

For progressive models for the Latin American Left today, we need to
look to Indian resistance movements, slave rebellions, maroons, the
stuggles of immigrant labor, etc.

There are things on which to draw other than generals.

ML

PS: And I'd say the same about George Washington...who really is the
best North American comparison for Bolivar.