[Marxism] NYC May Day Immigrant Rights Rally

Jon Flanders jonathan.flanders at verizon.net
Sun Apr 9 16:24:47 MDT 2006

From:
Troops Out Now Coalition

NYC May 1 Coalition calls for rally
and march - Union Sq. Mon. 5/1 4pm
Date:
Sun, 09 Apr 2006 16:45:24 -0400

New York City May 1 Coalition calls for rally and march

Union Sq.
May 1
4:00 pm

No School - No Work - No Shopping - No Selling

(New York) More than 50 representatives of 22 different immigrant,
labor, community,  and progressive organizations met today in response
to a national call issued by the March 25th Coalition against HR4437 in
Los Angeles.  The meeting, held in Teamster Local 808 in Long Island
City, Queens, and hosted by Chris Silvera, President of Local 808 and
President of the National Teamsters Black Caucus, began with a national
teleconference with organizers in more than a dozen cities across the
U.S.

The points of unity raised by the national organizers included:

1) Immediate and unconditional legalization of all persons.

2) No border walls.

3) No criminalization of any process or individuals.

4) Protect workers rights, civil rights, and civil liberties.

The NYC May 1 Coalition, formed to respond to the national call, is
organizing the May 1 action in New York City, which include a rally in
Union Square in Manhattan.  Organizers are calling for students to walk
out of class and for workers to take the day off to participate in the
national boycott.
How you can help:

Endorse May 1 in NYC

Volunteer

List your local activity

Donate to help with organizing expenses for NYC Union Sq. May 1

Members of the NYC May 1 Coalition are also mobilizing for the important
immigrant rights rally at City Hall on Monday, April 10, where we will
be handing out tens of thousands of leaflets for May 1.  After April 10,
let's work together to make May 1 an epic display of solidarity.  There
are already actions planned in dozens of cities across the U.S. and
progressive organizations world-wide are planning to mobilize on May 1
in solidarity with immigrant workers.

Next Organizing Meeting --All are welcome! Thursday, April 13 at
Teamsters 808, 22-43 Jackson Ave., Long Island City, Queens
Trains- 7 to 45th & Court House Sq ; E or V to 23rd & Ely; G to 21st &
Jackson

National Call

MAY 1, 2006: CALL TO ACTION!

"EL GRAN PARO AMERICANO 2006" "THE GREAT AMERICAN BOYCOTT
2006"

"Un dia sin immigrante" "A day without an immigrant"

Nationwide Immigrant General Strike

Immigrants contribute 7 billion in social security per year. they earn
240 billion, report 90 billion, and only are reimbursed 5 billion,
"where are the 85 billion?" They also contribute to the U.S. economy 25
billion more than they receive in healthcare, etc., etc., etc. According
to the anti-immigrant politicians and hatemongers, "immigrants are a
drain on society." If this is true, then during the day on May 1st the
stock market will surge, and the economy will boom. If not, we prove
them wrong once and for all. We know what will happen!

Therefore, the "March 25th Coalition against HR4437 in Los Angeles," the
organizers of the mega march of almost 2 million on March 25th, has
called for an emergency videoconferenced meeting on April 8th between
Los Angeles and any city that wishes to join the efforts toward "El
Gran Paro Americano 2006." The following meeting will take place in
Chicago on April 22nd, we ask that all that wish to participate and be a
part of a national effort on May 1st and beyond, to attend by finding
facilities in your areas that can hold the meeting, technologically.

The points of unity are: No Work, No School, No Sales, and No Buying,
and also to have rallies around symbols of economic trade in your areas
(stock exchanges, anti-immigrant corporations, etc.).

Cities across the United States have marched during the week, therefore,
in essence observing a regional boycott, which is only felt regionally.
The March 25th Coalition against HR4437, calls for these regions to
develop a national network that will "connect the dots." We believe with
numbers we have power, the power currently necessary to keep the
pressure on the White House to propose provisions that are just and fair
for all immigrants.

We will settle for nothing less than full amnesty and dignity for the
millions of undocumented workers presently in the U.S. We believe that
increased enforcement is a step in the wrong direction and will only
serve to facilitate more tragedies along the Mexican-U.S. border in
terms of deaths and family separation.

More details to come... Keep your eye on www.nohr4437.org
and or write to granmarcha2006 at hotmail.com

and any tax deductible donations should be made to:

La Hermandand
Mexicana, 7915 Van Nuys Blvd. Panorama City, CA 91402.

Please organize your areas, and join this monumental event that will put
our mark on U.S. history.

Endorse the May 1 General Strike >> Click Here
--