[Marxism] What to embrace

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Sun Apr 9 17:43:54 MDT 2006

Enviado por:marxism-request at lists.econ.utah.edu
Con fecha:9 Apr 2006, a las 10:52

> Speaking of which, I pointed out that Hugo Blanco was unhappy with
> Humala's identification with General Juan Velasco, who took power in a
> coup in 1968 and ruled until 1975 when he was overthrown by a
> rightwing coup. Is this something that the left should embrace? A bid
> to recreate Velasco's regime?

(a) Offer something better, Louis.  I will be your first supporter

(b) I don't even expect Humala to recreate Velasco's regime, as you
call it.

(c) However, I think that we should support him if he eventually
wins.

(d) Much as I respect Hugo Blanco (among other reasons, because he
was swindled by some Argentinean, Brezzano by name, and said nothing
about that), he is not exactly the best source to rely upon when it
comes to assessing the Peruvian political movement.  The main problem
with the "Velasco regime" was that it was a _purely military_ regime,
a regime without _political party_.  Thus, when the command was
reshuffled, the movement stiffled away.

But it actually put an end to gamonalism in Perú.  Little feat,
maybe, for a supercilious observer.  But not little thing for a
Peruvian peasant and/or Indian.

Louis Pr. states elsewhere:

"in terms of models, we are really obligated to state with the utmost
clarity that national sovereignty, democracy and true economic
development are not compatible with capitalism. If that makes me
sound like a member of the Spartacist League, so be it. "

And I agree, but as you wisely say, Lou, "in terms of models".

People do not go to politics in search of models.  They get into
politics in search of popular (not national) sovereignty, national
dignity, economic independence (not necessarily growth), social
justice and even these things appear in more concrete form.

The moment comes when you have to _choose sides_, and you aren't
heading one of the sides.  Keep your organization independent, of
course.  Keep yourself free from the mistakes and shortcomings of the
bourgeois, of course.  But choose the good solid ground people
choose, because _it is only in the process that opens up when such
projects are put to work that we Leftists, Marxists or whatever, can
show that we can be "better than the compañeros in power".

If one does not understand this, then one does not understand the ABC
of politics in Latin America.  I don't know if elsewhere.

Este correo lo ha enviado
Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
[No necesariamente es su autor]