[Marxism] Gnostic Gospels and Conspiracy Theory

DCQ deeseekyou at comcast.net
Sun Apr 9 18:53:21 MDT 2006

The gospel of Judas will be interesting for what it tells us about the
history of the early christian churches, not for what it says about or
attributes to Jesus. (The homophobic references in there fit perfectly
with early christian churches under the influence of Paul.) Since this
was written after the Gospel of John (which is the most removed from
the events is purports to narrate), the statements it attributes to
Jesus can be taken with quite a few grains of salt.

I'm interested to see what Ehrman will have to say about it; I find his
take on the historical Jesus to be the most compelling (*not* the
romantic rebel/revolutionary leader Jesus standing up against Roman
imperialism, but a parochial, small-time jewish apocalyptic prophet
whose followers are pretty adept at exaggerating the truth for their
own purposes).

In terms of the modern implications, I think we can welcome anything
that helps shake up the myth of Jesus and the early church. And the
more historical data we have the better.