[Marxism] Models for the Latin American left

Wayne S. Rossi felianan at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 9 19:34:12 MDT 2006

--- Mark Lause <MLause at cinci.rr.com> wrote:

> There are things on which to draw other than generals.

This is a most commendable statement in the context of the ongoing
debate over Latin America:  it's a good start at developing what I'm
not convinced exists, a thoroughgoing Marxist analysis of the processes
that are going on in the region.

If the back-and-forth among the participants in the debate continues on
the merits or faults of the leaderships, we're spinning our wheels; we
aren't going to move anywhere on whether one likes Evo Morales, and
while not inconsequential it is tangential to the ultimate point, which
is to look at the dynamics of the class struggle within the working
class and its allies in the political struggle (which the indigenous
and oppressed most often are).

The starting point is wrong.  Looking for Bolivars, looking for great
men is antithetical to class analysis.  The Latin American
radicalization runs far deeper than its electoralist surface, and until
we break through that we're not engaging the questions in a Marxist
fashion.  The question is not and has never been who do we like and who
do we not like; it is what are the class forces on the scene, and where
are they going.  And we've yet to even scratch the surface.

- Wayne