[Marxism] Lincoln's posturing

Nestor Gorojovsky nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
Mon Apr 10 10:45:29 MDT 2006

Enviado por:marxism-request at lists.econ.utah.edu
Con fecha:10 Apr 2006, a las 8:55

> However, even as Lincoln wrote this, he had already discussed with his
> cabinet his determination to issue the Emancipation Proclamation and
> was persuaded to hold off until the military situation had improved
> sufficiently to where it would mean something.  In other words,
> Lincoln's implication that he might not do anything about slavery was
> pure-and-simple political posturing.

Yes, I understand that.

But for those who were doing their experience through Civil War it
was not understood as such before he took the step ahead.

Lincoln was _personally_ decided to bring slavery to an end.  I am
convinced that this decission had to do with his understanding of the
Union, and the verified fact that slavocrats were against all what
Union meant, organically and definitely.

But what I want to bring your attention to is that he considered
"posturing" a necessary component of his policies.  And thus try to
understand similar developments taking place elsewhere in slightly
similar conditions and in a completely different context.

Este correo lo ha enviado
Néstor Miguel Gorojovsky
nestorgoro at fibertel.com.ar
[No necesariamente es su autor]