[Marxism] Models for the Latin American left

Mark Lause MLause at cinci.rr.com
Mon Apr 10 14:48:02 MDT 2006

Charles, if you're writing about something that is not experienced,
isn't that fiction?  Precision really is essential if you want people to
be on the same page with you.  Otherwise, this can become a mere
exercise in playing with words....

On a related point, it seems to me that you are muddling "scholarly,"
"scholastic" and "scholasticism."  These are not the same things.  Marx
always strove to be scholarly in his research and get his facts right.
He didn't like scholasticism, which involved the medieval mind-set
wherein arguments would be made by quoting Scripture, Church Fathers,
etc.

Now, I just mentioned research on slaveholding in cities and industry
(scholarly work) and you counter with a Marx quote as the ultimate
authority (scholasticism).

Hasn't that imprecision just led to inadvertently turning Marx upside
down?

Solidarity!
Mark L.

II
The question whether objective truth can be attributed to human thinking
is
not a question of theory but is a practical question. Man must prove the
truth - i.e. the reality and power, the this-sidedness of his thinking
in
practice. The dispute over the reality or non-reality of thinking that
is
isolated from practice is a purely scholastic question.

So, when I discuss history in the Marxist context, I try to adhere to
the
principle of connecting it with practice today. The Venezuelan
discussion of
the history in Bolivar's period meets Marx's test on this. I'd like to
discuss U.S. history with the same aim of uniting history ( theory in
this
case) with activist practice in  America today.  My (main )interest in
Lincoln, Republicans, Abolitionists is in how they might inform us of
American "national character or psychology" today, as we try to change
the
world today ( based on interpreting it).

We want to bring back the spirit that inspired tens of thousands of
White
Americans to risk their lives in a war that had as one goal ending
slavery (
I know the purposes of the war and motives of the many were complicated;
but
didn't _some_ sing about John Brown ?) Not necessarily risking their
lives
today, but fired up to be militant about ending racism.

YOU MUST clip all extraneous text before replying to a message.
Send list submissions to: Marxism at lists.econ.utah.edu